Thursday Tips: Social Media – Twitter
As we mentioned last week, social media is an important part of promoting your book. We’ve already covered Facebook, this week we walk you through getting set up on Twitter. Keep in mind, this guide is for someone who is new to Twitter. Twitter is an important part of joining the conversation and is how David Mathison pre-sold 5,004 books through in 11 days.
1) Go to Twitter.com, and create an account.
2) For your username, use your full name if it’s available.
3) After the account is created, go to your Account Settings to add your web site or Facebook page to the More Info URL, add a one line bio (up to 160 characters) and your location. Leave your updates unprotected so people can find you easily.
4) Upload a picture of yourself, which is an mportant way people recognize you on their Twitter homepage.
5) Customize your Twitter profile by selecting one of the pre-made themes or for more advanced users, use TwitBacks.com to build a fully custom background.
6) Follow BookRixUS on Twitter!
8 ) Add your Twitter profile link to your web site and Facebook page.
9) You’re ready to then share with the world what are you doing! It’s important to stay focused, include personal information so people can build a personal connection but also share information about your topics of expertise.
10) Use Twitter Search to find other people who are talking about the same topics that you’re interested in. That is the community that you’ll want to be participating with.
11) Here’s some more advanced Twitter tips on TechCrunch from Kevin Rose, founder of Digg who has close to 1 million followers.
BookRix looks forward to connecting with you on Twitter!