A big thank you is owed to all those who participated between November 5th through 19th by either uploading a book to BookRix or becoming a fan of BookRix on Facebook for our recent charity campaign! More than 500 books were uploaded from start to finish!
Because of some fabulous BookRix members, the charity – Room to Read - will be receiving a $700 donation from BookRix to help fund their quality programs that provide direct benefits to children. The Reading Room, School Room, Girl’s Education and Local Language Publishing program efforts from Room to Read are felt around the world. This year Room to Read even opened their 10,000 library to underprivileged children. Currently, their efforts are focused in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, South Africa and Zambia.
Several BookRixers really got into this charity benefit by sending out motivational messages to their friends to encourage them to upload new books on to the BookRix site. BookRix hopes to continue this tradition of good deeds in the future so stay tuned for other BookRix Charity Campaigns to come in the future!
In the meantime, take a look at what fellow BookRix authors contributed to the charity campaign.
Room to Read is a global organization seeking to transform the lives of millions of children in the developing world by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Founded on the belief that World Change Starts with Educated Children, Room to Read works in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children and to ensure girls have the skills and support needed to complete their secondary education. Since 2000, Room to Read has impacted the lives of more than four million children in Asia and Africa and aims to reach 10 million children by 2015.
Check out this inspiring video of Room to Read’s humble beginnings:
The top 11 Frightening Fiction BookRix contest stories have just gone to the jury so check them out here for yourself. But don’t say we didn’t warn you – they just might give you nightmares!
1. Himabindu.works8, soulmate, 67 votes
2. Gooduklady, Mr. Wrong, 64 votes
3. R.lynn, The Descendants Saga, 63 votes
4. Writer723, The Midnight Bandit, 60 votes
5. Lazarus67, Faeries Don’t Have to Work, 38 votes
6. Rebekahjennings, The Visitor, 37 votes
7. Michaelmpacheco, Panis Angelicus, 35 votes
8. Dalemoses, Quiet, 33 votes
9. Ankitaverma19, It so happened, 31 votes
10. Four.oclock, Nightmares 10.1, 26 votes
And the Wildcard Pick nominated by community member Chryse and reviewed by BookRix staff is:
Matters of Mortology by Tmcamp
Congratulations and good luck to the top 11 finalists! The top three winners will be announced on or before December 8 so stay tuned!
Join the Bookrix Charity Campaign by uploading a book between now and November 19 and BookRix will donate $1 for every book uploaded to BookRix directly to Room to Read.
All you have to do to join the charity campaign is to upload your book to BookRix. It will automatically be counted. You can even follow along by looking on the homepage for an ongoing tally of the books uploaded! We will post the final number of books uploaded and amount donated after November 19.
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in the developing world by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, Room to Read develops literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children and ensures girls have the skills and support needed to complete their secondary education. To read more about their worthy cause, visit their website www.RoomtoRead.org.
If you want to do more, here are other ways to help:
* Send a message to all your BookRix friends encouraging them to participate, too. You can read a tutorial on how to send a message to all your friends on BookRix by clicking on the BookRix Book on the right.
* In addition to the effort on www.BookRix.com, we are hoping to donate even more money to Room to Read through our Facebook page. For every new “Like” we receive from fans on our Facebook page, we will be donating $1 to Room to Read! If you haven’t already liked us on Facebook, please do so and invite all your friends to take part, too!
Together we can make a difference in the lives of less fortunate children around the world. Thanks for helping with this effort to raise awareness and money for Room to Read today!